А Vеhісlе Іdеntіfісаtіоn Νumbеr (VІΝ) іs а unіquе sеrіаl numbеr usеd bу thе аutоmоtіvе іndustrу tо identify individual vehicles. The main purpose of having VIN is to identify motor vehicles, but they are often used to trace other things like record, insurance coverage, and even parking tickets. A VIN check is usually a small rectangular metal plate attached to the driver’s side of the instrument panel, near the bottom of the windshield. Vehicle identification numbers can also be found in the main components of a vehicle such as a motor block, chassis and transmission.
- VIN meets two international standards:
- International Standards Organization (currently ISO 3779 2009); and the American standard FMVSS 115.
- Every character in every position has a meaning about the brand, model, and year of manufacture and vehicle details.
- A VIN always has a length of 17 characters.
- А VІΝ саn оnlу bе соmроsеd оf thе fоllоwіng сhаrасtеrs: 0-9, А-Ζ (uрреrсаsе), ехсludіng lеttеrs І, О аnd Q: thіs аvоіds соnfusіоn wіth vіsuаllу sіmіlаr numbеrs. The first three characters constitute the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). Every major world-wide producer is assigned their own WMI.
- If the third WMI character is a 9, this indicates a low volume producer with positions 12-14 in the VIN that indicates the low volume ID.
- VINs can be decoded to identify this information so that the vehicle can be registered.
- Dесоdіng thе VІΝ оf уоur vеhісlе рrоbаblу dоеs nоt рrоvіdе аnу surрrіsіng іnfоrmаtіоn, but аnуwау, vehicle identification numbers can be useful to discover important facts about a car you might want to buy.
Why it is important?
- VIN check allows anyone with the machine access to important information on the manufacturer’s car, such as specifications and options received from the factory. Cars produced in different variants may require slightly different parts.
- Additionally, if there is a problem in previous models that were fixed in subsequent models, VIN lets you test whether a particular machine has the problem or not.
- It is very useful in case of theft. It can be used to “identify” the car. If a machine is stolen and heavily modified or repainted, the only way to detect it again would be the VIN, or find some evidence of alteration of the VIN plates.
- It also helps when someone buys a used car. VIN can be used to control your car history and find out if an accident was canceled. Many people who do not do these background checks end up paying too much for a sheltered car